Search Recreation
Search Public Works
Search - Content

Frequently Asked Questions


I wish to volunteer for a Township advisory board/committee. Who do I contact?
First – Decide which board(s) or committee(s) interests you. There is a complete list of township boards and committees available to view on our municipal website. Each board/committee has a brief description along with a current roster of members. Most committees/boards meet once a month, usually on a week night.
Next – Send a brief e-mail to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. indicating which boards/committees interest you most and include any relevant knowledge or experience you might have that you feel would be helpful for serving on that board/committee.

Where do I fill out a passport application?
Passport applications are handled Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Business Administration Office on the 2nd Floor of the Municipal Building. For any questions, please contact Samantha Sickles, Passport Acceptance Agent, at (732) 247-0922, ext. 435.


Clerk's Office

How do I file an Open Public Records request?
Open Public Records requests are handled by the Township Clerk’s Office. Click here for an OPRA request form. For any questions, please contact (732) 247-0922, ext. 475.

Where do I go to receive a marriage license?
Marriage licenses may be obtained through the Municipal Clerk’s office. Click here for a copy of the marriage license application.
Applications are processed by appointment ONLY in the Clerk’s Office on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Please call for an appointment at least 3 weeks before the ceremony. There is a mandatory waiting period before a license could be issued.

Do I need to license my dog or cat?
Yes. ALL dogs and cats (regardless if they go outside or not) MUST be licensed. It is the owner’s responsibility to make sure their pet(s) are licensed, up-to-date on shots, safe, healthy and do not cause harm to others. Dogs and cats may be licensed at the Municipal Building.
To license your pet, please click here for an application.

How can I register to vote?
You may register to vote at the Municipal Clerk’s office between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. , Monday through Friday. You may also register at the North Brunswick Library (880 Hermann Road) or at any New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission agency while applying for/renewing a license or non-driver identification card.


Community Development

When do I need a building permit from the Construction Office?

Effective March 5, 2018, municipal permits are no longer required for the repair or replacement of any amount of existing roof covering on detached one or two-family dwellings; the repair or replacement of any existing siding except polypropylene siding; the installation of a burglar alarm or security systems.

You will need a building permit for most types of renovations, additions, or general home improvements including:

• Installation or replacement of hot water heaters, furnaces, boilers and air conditioning.
• Finishing a basement or attic.
• Kitchen and bathroom renovations when services for sinks, refrigerators, ovens or stoves are being altered or moved.
• Building or replacing a deck.
• Installation of a pool in-ground, above ground and temporary pools capable of holding more than 24” of water.
• Removal/abandonment of oil tanks.
• New electric outlets, fixtures, wiring, and upgrade of electrical service.
• Solar panels.
• Sheds greater than 200 SF.
• Emergency generators.
• Most other substantive home improvements where walls, doorways, openings and supporting utilities are being altered or moved.

You do not need a building permit for the following ordinary and minor maintenance:

Ordinary building maintenance includes the repair of replacement of any amount of existing roof covering on detached one or two-family dwellings, the repair or replacement of any existing siding except polypropylene siding, interior and exterior painting, wall papering, paneling, replacement of windows or doors provided no alteration to the framing of the original opening, replacement of trim or moldings, replacement of kitchen cabinets, replacement of flooring or carpet, repair of an uncovered porch or stoop, repairs to existing steps or stairs, replacement of screens, and replacement of leaders or gutters.

Ordinary plumbing maintenance includes faucet repair or replacement, trap repair or replacement, replacement of shower valves including minor piping modification, replacement of hose bibs provided that an approved atmospheric vacuum breaker is provided, the repair of leaks involving the replacement of piping, clearance of stoppages, and the replacement of clothes washers and dryers.

Ordinary electrical maintenance includes replacement of non GFI-receptacles, switches, and lighting fixtures that do not require emergency battery packs. Installation  and repair of doorbells, replacement of thermostats, repairs or installations of telephone or cable lines, replacement of dishwasher and kitchen range hoods provided that the replacement hood exhaust rate does not exceed the exhaust rate of the existing hood or the exhaust rate of the replacement hood doesn't exceed 400 cfm.

Ordinary fire protection maintenance includes repair or replacement of smoke detector, smoke alarm, or heat detector heads with a like device, installation of battery operated or plug in smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detectors, and the replacement of stoves and ovens provided that no change in fuel type or location or electrical characteristics is required.

When do I need a Zoning Permit?
You will need a zoning permit in addition to a building permit for most types of renovations, additions, or general home improvements including:

• New buildings, additions and alterations.
• Decks, porches, gazebos and fireplaces.
• Finished basements.
• Detached garages.
• Pools.
• Solar panels.
• Emergency generators.

Zoning permits are also required for:

• Fences.
• Patios.
• Sheds or accessory buildings.
• Temporary structures.
• Portable storage units.
• Retaining walls.

I am selling my home. What do I need to do?
In order to sell your home, you need to secure two (2) separate and distinct inspections:

• A Certificate of Continued Occupancy from the Construction Office.

CCO Application

• A fire inspection by the Fire Marshal.

Home Sale Instructions


Parks, Recreation & Community Services

I want to reserve a grove/field in a Township park for an event. Who do I contact?
All use of the Township parks and fields must be scheduled through the Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Services by filing out a facility use form. Please click here for the form.
In addition, there is a form for seasonal use of Township fields and facilities. Please click here for the agreement form.
Fields and picnic groves are very popular so we encourage you to reserve early. For any questions, please call (732) 247-0922, ext. 775.



How may I obtain a police/accident report?
You may access accident and incident reports at the Police Department Records Bureau between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. If you cannot pick up a report during these hours, please call (732) 247-0922, ext. 415 for special arrangements.

How do I obtain a gun permit?
For information on filing for a gun permit, please click here for the New Jersey State Police website.


Public Works

What day is my bulk and white goods picked up?
It depends on which zone you are in for bulk pick ups. Zone 1 is on Wednesday, Zone 2 is on Friday and Zone 3 is on Monday. All must be scheduled.
White Goods are picked up every Wednesday and must be scheduled.

What day is my recycling picked up?
Effective the week of March 4, 2019, the recycling collection schedule has changed. Service days will remain the same for most residents, however, service weeks may change. Previously, recycling service was every other week on even weeks. Recycling service may change to odd weeks depending on the street on which a resident resides. Please click on the link below for more important information on the changes, along with a link to the new Recycling Collection Schedule. For questions regarding recycling collection, please call the Department of Public Works at (732) 297-1134.

My robo trash can was damaged. Can I get a replacement?
Yes, please call the Department of Public Works at (732) 297-1134 and an appointment will be set up to replace the robo can.


Tax Assessor

Why is property assessed and who assesses it?
Real property is assessed in order to determine the basis on which property taxes are levied on each parcel of real property. All real property is taxable except property specifically exempted by law. Real property is assessed by the municipal Tax Assessor.

What is estimated market value and what can change my assessed value?
Estimated market value is the Assessor's determination of the value of your property for tax purposes only. Any change made to the property that would change its market value may change assessed value.

What is the "Notice of Assessment" and what should I do with it?
This is an official notice of your property's assessment value for the current year which is mailed by the Township Assessor prior to February 1st. Absolutely nothing unless you disagree with the Township's determination of your assessment.

How can I appeal my assessment?
If you would like to file an appeal after that you can obtain forms and instruction from the Middlesex County Tax Board Please visit:


Tax Collector

What are the hours of the Tax Collector's office?
The office of the Tax Collector is open Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:00pm. The office is also open from 8:30am to 8:00pm the first Monday of every quarter.

When are taxes delinquent?
The due dates for taxes are February1st, May 1st, August 1st and November 1st. Payments received after the 10th of the quarter will be charged interest from the due date per N.J.S.A. 54:4-66. Post marks are not accepted.

What options do I have to make a tax payment?
1. Payment can be made at the Tax Collector’s Office by check or cash.
2. Payments can be mailed to the Tax Collector’s Office:

North Brunswick Township
Attn: Tax Collector’s Office
710 Hermann Road
North Brunswick, NJ 08902

3. Payment can be made through the Township website. Please click here. Payments made through the website will be charged a fee. Credit card payments are accepted only on the Township website.

How do I file a water and sewer complaint?
For water and sewer complaints, contact the Water/Sewer Billing Department at (732) 247-0922, ext. 458.

I have an issue with my water bill. Who do I speak to?
Please call (732) 247-0922, ext. 458 between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday - Friday, regarding water bill issues.

Contact Information
710 Hermann Road
North Brunswick, NJ 08902
(732) 247-0922